Thursday, October 15, 2009

Costume Shopping Aint What it Used to Be

"I want to be a Pirate," says Abby.
"I want to be a Doctor," says Evie.

Okay. So off to the Costume store we go for our Halloween extravaganza shopping spree.

"Now you've each chosen what you want to be. Find that costume in the right size, then accessories. No changing it up 20,000 times, okay? You. Have. Decided."
"Uh-huh. Okay, Mom."

I imagined going in, finding a pirate costume and a doctor costume, finding the right size, heading off to the accessories to get swords and stethiscopes and glowy neclaces and bracelets and then we'd be done.

This is how it actually went down.

Abby:
"I like THAT Pirate costume"
"Um, Ab, that's for a 23 year old hooker. I don't think so."

Evie:
"Mommy, I want to be the fairy"
"Evie, that's a $100 costume, and you have 7 fairy dresses at home you can use if you want to be a fairy. We can wear one of those."

We left with what I still consider to be a slightly too-short pirate costume for a CHILD and a multi-accessorized fairy costume.

I cannot win.

No comments: