Friday, November 6, 2009

Musings on Cleaning

For those of you who have been there, done that or are currently doing that, I have a question to pose:

I spent my morning cleaning. I mean really cleaning. Bathrooms, kitchen, vaccuum, beds, laundry and even washed my floors. Yes, even the litter box was a pristine little clay sand pile. When I left to go volunteer at Abby's school, my house was beautiful. Or really, as good as it gets.

Within 3 minutes of my family coming in the door, there were:

Leaves wafting across my floor
Paw prints in the entry room
Backpacks, coats, a sweatshirt and shoes strewn everywhere.
A laundry basket filled with the day's clothes.

"David, what the hell?!? Did you even notice it was clean when you walked in?? Please tell me you saw that it was perfectly clean!"

"Um.... I was distracted. The cat just pooped in the litter box and it smells."

All that work, and in the 15 seconds it was visible, the whole thing was negated because the cat chose that moment to poop.

So, for those of you who have or have had pets and children and husbands and a fleetingly clean home, does the memory of the spotlessness sustain you, or is there knee-jerk reaction to frantically clean it again just to enjoy it??

5 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

I take a picture when I clean....because I have a husband, a cat and now a crawling baby...so nothing remains clean that long.

Dingo Deb said...

LOL, I have an OCD husband who can't relax until everything is clean...and that means it's ME that has make sure he can relax so I just keep it clean so I don't have to hear the heavy sighs. I don't have kids so no mess from that viewpoint. I do have a cat that used to poop in the litterbox, but now he has discovered the small river stones that cover the lanai garden,and has decided that is a MUCH better place to poop,and so he does. *sigh*

SK said...

Well becuase I'm so anal I would clean it again, and most likely sputtering the whole time doing it.

I wouldn't have a memory of it because I be too consumed in all the hard work that was for not.

So those of you can can let that kind of stuff go, kudos! I wish I could be like you.

Mary, I know your pain. Minus the animals. lol

Ahem Kathy said...

I actually love to clean, it relaxes me. Never stayed clean long when my kids were young. Satifation, I know what it looked like when I finished, those last 5 seconds.

Unknown said...

I say get rid of the cat! lol