Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dive

Interesting how a body can be so tightly wired and wound that you don’t even realize how exhausting it is until the moment it comes undone and you’re left wondering how it happened in the first place.


I’m a swimmer. I am at home in the water. From the moment the pool is open or the ocean is near, I swim. For the girls and I it is our summer playground, but this winter the pool was almost destroyed…. 5 feet of snow displaced the water down the liner and collapsed in on itself. I complained every day since June 1st that I didn't have my pool. It was a passing crankiness that I was too busy to focus on.

So for the first half of summer I stared at the husk of the pool and then just as it was replaced/fixed and perfect, I was on my way out for business in Jersey City. 4 nights in Jersey …… and in the back of my mind I’m thinking of swimming. Diving. PLAYING. I promised myself that I would swim the second I got back home…no matter what.

Alas, a series of unfortunate traffic and weather events didn’t land me back home until after 9:00 at night on Friday. It was cold and raining. But I keep my promises.

Left the luggage in the car.


Walked to the pool.


Hopped the fence.


Jumped in.



And in the moment I sliced through rain and into the water itself, I realized that I what I had complained about as an irritating inconvenience was actually something that I needed. All that tension and frantic energy just peeled away and let go. And I swam.

The girls and I spent the entire weekend in the pool.. and I suspect that’s where we’ll be again. The pool, the barn, riding, then back to the pool.  Then maybe riding again. 

1 comment:

Wenchy said...

I like the pool on occassion. :)