Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tooth Fairy, Revealed; Santa, Betrayed

Abby had to have two of her stubborn baby teeth pulled. And you know what that means............. the Tooth Fairy Visit.

I snuck into Abby’s room that night to trade $$ for her two pulled teeth. She looked so peacful that my heart just about stopped when she WOKE UP. She blinks. I stand, frozen like a rabbit.

“Mom?”
“Yeah-huh?”
“What are you doing?”
“Just checking in on you to see how you’re feeling.”
“Okay. Good night”

I walk out with a slient prayer of "ohshitohshitohshitdon’treachunderthepillow”
and go to the kitchen to wait. It wasn't long.

About 5 minutes later I heard foot-tapping. I turned around. Abby is standing there, offending Tooth-Fairy bag dangling from the edge of her fingertips.”

“What is this?”

“That’s the tooth fairy’s satchel.”

“Mmmyeah. It’s full. There’s no way the tooth fairy got here this fast. And the money smells like Nana. “

“uuuuhhhhhhh”

“Tell me the truth. Nana gave Daddy the money. He gave it to you. You put it in my bag after taking the teeth and you’ve been the tooth fairy all this time, haven’t you?!”

After a brief conversation of what it means to believe, I did in fact admit that I had played the role. She nodded her head solemly. Understanding and forgiving the betrayal.

"Okay. I won't tell Evie or anyone else who beleives."
"Thank you, baby, that's very nice of you."

"Yeah. I dont' want Santa to find out I'm the one who ratted out the Tooth Fairy!"


beat.

Her eyes got really wide. I think I heard the sound of A thousand christmas bells shattering against the floor of her heart. Then she just went to bed.

Someday, she's going to make an incredible Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus.
Until then, I remember when she believed:

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's almost like you could hear the angels singing once again from above.

Unknown said...

d00d, u do know that Evie reads this ... right? Lol.